The Hallmark of Druid Hills
“1189 South Ponce de Leon Avenue”
A Brief History
RE/MAX Metro Atlanta, Inc. Corporate Headquarters was built in 1921, originally as a private residence. Carlos and Marguerite Mason lived at 1189 South Ponce de Leon from 1921-1955. Carlos passed away in the house in 1954, and Marguerite moved out the following year. The house was then purchased by the First Church of Christ Scientist in 1955 and was used for religious services until the local church disbanded in 1980. At that time, it was again put on the market.
The property was purchased in December 1982 by The Golden Key International Society and was in dire need of restoration. Originally, local college students lived in the building while providing general maintenance. Thus, as work progressed, James W. Lewis (Founder and Golden Key Executive Director) served as the general contractor. Marguerite Mason returned to her former home in 1983 to assist Mr. Lewis with the design plan, and the house was soon restored to its original elegance. The building was rented out for weddings and special events in the early years to pay the mortgage, but as Golden Key grew, additional space was necessary and the main floor was converted into a workspace.
In 1994, the building was expanded to meet the needs of the growing Golden Key headquarters staff. Approximately 2,500 square feet of space and new entryway were added to the building. The interior design of the new office wing maintained the integrity of the original interior design.
In 2005, Broker and Owner of RE/MAX Metro Atlanta, Inc., Donna Armstrong, purchased the building. She was committed to being the next caretaker of this beautiful property. Today, the Corporate Headquarters retains its dignity and beauty and at the same time, it provides functionality for real estate sales associates and their clients. The office features work areas, and traditional client conference rooms.
RE/MAX Metro Atlanta, Inc. Corporate Headquarters is located at the entrance to the Druid Hills Historic District of Atlanta and is the gateway to that neighborhood. It has become a showcase in the city, and a well-known landmark. World famous landscape architect, Fredrick Law Olmstedt designed the Druid Hills Historic District of Atlanta and the park surrounding the area.
Other interesting facts about the facility and property: